Valentine's Day Special Beef Wellington
|Beef tenderloin||1 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed even thickness|
|Mascarpone cheese||5 Ounce|
|Prosciutto slice||42 Ounce (7, 6 Ounce Each)|
|9 inch puff pastry sheets||1 , thawed (Aussie Bakery Brand Recommended)|
|Egg||1 , whisked with 1 tablespoon water|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|For port wine chocolate reduction sauce|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced shallots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (2 Pieces)|
|Baby bella mushrooms||5 , finely minced (1 Cup)|
|Dried thyme||1 Pinch|
|Beef stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Port||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bittersweet chocolate chips||1 1⁄2 Ounce (Preferably Ghirardelli)|
|Freshly ground sea salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in the center.
2) Pat beef dry and generously season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper on all sides.
3) Rub beef all over with olive oil.
4) Heat a large skillet on high heat (preferably a lightly oiled cast iron skillet) and lightly coat with oil.
5) When oil begins to simmer place beef on pan and quickly brown on all sides, about 3-4 minutes total.
6) Remove beef from pan and set aside to cool.
7) Carefully unfold puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured large working surface. Gently roll puff pastry out to about 12 x 12 inches flipping over once while rolling.
8) Generously spread mascarpone cheese all over one side of puff pastry sheet.
9) Lay prosciutto slices across the puff pastry to cover entire sheet.
10) Place beef tenderloin in the center, roll up one side, then the other. Fold over ends and trim if necessary.
11) Brush with egg wash. Place the beef on a lightly oiled baking sheet, seam side down and brush the top side with egg wash (Egg wash should coat entirely).
12) Carefully make 4-5 slits across top using the tip of a paring knife.
13) Bake for 20-25 minutes until pastry is golden brown and thermometer reaches 125 degrees in the center for medium rare.
14) While Tenderloin is baking Prepare Port Wine Chocolate Reduction Sauce, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, mushrooms and a pinch of thyme and sauté
until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
15) Stir in beef stock and port wine and bring to a boil until reduced to a little less than half, about 15-20 minutes.
16) Reduce heat and whisk in chocolate.
17) Season with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper and simmer until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
18) Remove the pastry from the oven and let it rest, about 10 minutes.
19) Cut beef into large slices and serve with sauce until softened, about 3-4 minutes.