Kentucky Bourbon and Pecan Christmas Cake
|Whole red candied cherries||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Bourbon whiskey||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Seedless raisins||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Softened butter||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs), firmly packed|
|Eggs||8 , seprated|
|All purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Pecan halves||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
2. Combine cherries, raisins, and bourbon in a large mixing bowl.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
4. Drain fruits and reserve bourbon.
5. Place butter in bowl of mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
6. Add sugars gradually.
7. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
8. Combine 1/2 cup of the flour with the pecans.
9. Mix the remaining flour with the baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
10. Add 2 cups of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.
11. Add the reserved bourbon and the remainder of the flour mixture alternately, ending with flour.
12. Beat well after each addition.
13. In a separate bowl, mix egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
14. Fold gently into cake batter.
15. Add drained fruits and floured pecans to the cake batter and blend.
16. Grease a 10 inch tube pan and line with waxed or parchment paper.
17. Pour cake batter into pan with 1-inch space left at the top.
18. Place in preheated oven and bake about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until a cake tester comes out clean. (Loaves will take less time.)
19. Cool cake 2 to 3 hours in pan.
20. Remove from pan.
21. Wrap in cheesecloth soaked in bourbon and store in aluminum foil inside a covered container for several weeks and use as required.
Calories 925 Calories from Fat 379
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.8%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g78.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 148.2 mg49.4%
Sodium 183.7 mg7.7%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.3%
Sugars 77.3 g
Protein 10 g19.8%
Vitamin A 15.1% Vitamin C 1.3%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 17.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet