Beef Stew Provencal
|Lean beef chuck||3 Pound (1 1/2 inch cubes)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Onions||1 Pound, peeled (8 small size)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Chopped leek/Shallot||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canned tomatoes||28 Ounce, undrained (1 can)|
|Beef bouillon cubes||2|
|Dry red wine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Orange peel strip||1 (1 inch wide and 3 inches long)|
|New potatoes||8 Small, scrubbed|
|Zucchini||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut in 1/2 inch thick slices (4 whole)|
|Pitted green olives||12|
|Canned celery hearts||15 Ounce, drained (1 can, Coeur de celeri)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Wipe meat using damp towels.
2. Mix salt, pepper and flour on a waxed paper.
3. Roll all the beef cubes in the flour mixture to coat them well. Store the remaining flour to be used later.
3. In a 6 quarter dutch oven add butter. Heat till hot. Add 2 tablespoons oil when butter is hot.
4. Add beef and saute for 30 minutes till beef is brown on all sides. Remove as soon as beef turns brown.
5. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes till golden brown. Keep them aside.
6. In the pan add drippings to oil. Add leek, bay leaves, thyme and saute for 5 minutes till leeks turn golden brown in color.
7. Add bouillon cubes, orange peel, browned beef and tomatoes. Boil the mixture.
8. Simmer keeping the mixture covered for 60 minutes.
9. Add sauteed onions and potatoes and simmer for 40 minutes more. Mix ripe olives and greens. Cook till vegetables and meat are tender.
10. Add the drained coeur de celeri.
11. In a small bowl mix the reserved flour mixture with 1/4 cup water to get a smooth consistency.
12. Mix in the stew. Stir for 5 minutes till the mixture is thick.
13. Sprinkle chopped parsley.
14. Serve Beef Stew Provencal with fresh French bread.