Butter mochi is a popular Hawaiian dessert that is very easy to make. This recipe is perfect for potlucks, picnics and holiday gatherings. Mochi is a rice cake traditionally made from pounding sweet rice into chewy oblivion. They are normally filled with sweet bean paste or sometimes, ice cream. Today, we are using Mochiko, a rice flour commonly used for making mochi in the home.
Mochiko rice flour
450 Gram (1 box)
2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)
1 Can (10 oz)
1 Can (10 oz)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
2. Take a cup cake pan and line the individual servings with banana leaves as demonstrated in the video and keep aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl add mochiko rice flour, baking powder and sugar. Also add a pinch of salt and mix until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, add 5 large eggs, 1 can of evaporated milk, water and vanilla extract. Whisk together to combine well.
5. Mix the dry ingredients while you gradually add the liquid mixture. Once both are combined, mix until you have a smooth batter.
6. Add the melted butter at this point.
7. Take the cake pan and fill the lined cups with the mixture. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
8. Serve with freshly cut fruits.
When using a banana leaf to line the servings of the cup cake pan, pass the leaf a couple of times over a heated stove to release the oils so that the leaf is more pliable and easier to work with.
If using a 9 X 13 baking pan, bake for 60 minutes in a 350 degree F oven, or until the top is golden brown and the mochi's are springy to the touch.
Things You Will Need
1. A cup cake pan with individual servings, lined up with banana leaf ( 9 X 13 baking pan can also be used as an alternative)
If you like to take the road less travelled, watch this video to learn how to make Hawaiian-style Butter Mochi in a modern way. Mr. Jingjong aka Jay shows his version of this popular Hawaiian rice cake dessert made in individual cupcakes lined with banana leaf which gives the butter mochi a subtle aromatic flavor and a rustic presentation. These chewy cake recipe is perfect for potlucks, picnics and holiday gatherings.