Beef Stew With Dumplings
|Stewing steak||1 Pound|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Condensed tomato soup/Brown stock-3/4 pint||1 Can (10 oz) (Plus Water -1/4 Pint)|
|For the dumplings|
|All-purpose flour||3 Ounce (With Plain Flour Use 1 Level Teaspoon Baking Powder)|
|Mixed spice||1 Pinch|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Required)|
1) Cut the meat into 1 -inch cubes and remove excess fat.
2) Cut potatoes in quarters.
3) In a bowl, mix together salt and pepper with flour.
4) Coat the meat into the seasoned flour.
5) In a pan, melt fat and brown meat from both the sides.
6) Now, add soup and water or the brown stock. Stir and cover. Cook for 1 ½ hours.
7) Then, add whole onions and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
8) To make dumplings, sift together flour, baking powder (if used), salt, spice and pepper.
9) Add margarine or suet and make dough. Make 8 balls and drop in stew.
10) Let them boil for 5 minutes rapidly or until dumplings rise to surface. Then, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
11) Serve beef stew with dumplings hot.