Eggplant Creole In Shell
|Eggplant||2 Pound (1 Large Sized)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground beef chuck||1⁄2 Pound|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Finely chopped onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound, undrained (1 Can)|
|Dried thyme leaves||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Hot red pepper sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Grape-nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. To prepare the eggplant wash it, score and remove skin from six 3/4-inch diagonal bands on the it.
2. From top of eggplant cut a 2 1/2-inch slice.
3. Then slice a 1/4-inch slice from bottom to give eggplant a firm base to stand on.
4. With a long-handled spoon, scoop out pulp, leaving 1/2-inch-thick shell and dice the pulp.
5. Brush inside and outside of shell and lid with lemon juice, wrap in foil and keep warm in low oven.
6. In large skillet, saute beef with garlic until brown and drain off any fat.
7. Add onion, green pepper, diced eggplant and celery and cook over low heat about 5 minutes.
8. Stir in tomatoes, salt, thyme, red-pepper sauce and Grapenuts and simmer for 5 minutes.
9. On a warm serving platter set eggplant shell and spoon meat mixture into it.
10. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
11. To serve spoon Eggplant Creole from shell and pass more Parmesan cheese.
12. Serve preferably with buttered rice.