In this video, Betty demonstrates how to make Shrimp and Grits. This recipe was inspired by a recent visit that my husband and I made to Hanger's Restaurant in Richmond, Kentucky, where Rick ordered Shrimp and Grits.
Warm cooked cheese grits
1 Pound (as needed)
1 Pound (more or less as needed)
Frozen mixed vegetables
16 Ounce, cooked in boiling water until crisp-tender and drained
1. Slice sausage into coins, about ¼-inch thick.
2. In a deep skillet, brown sliced sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove them from heat and drain on paper towel.
3. Place as many of the shrimp as desired in the skillet with the drippings from the sausage.
4. Sprinkle the shrimp with Cajun seasoning, to taste.
5. Add cooked sausage and crisp-tender mixed vegetables. Stir well and place over low to medium heat and cook until hot, stirring occasionally. If your shrimp is uncooked, cook until the shrimp turn pink and become opaque.
6. In the center of a plate place a few spoonfuls of cooked mixed vegetables.
7. Pack cooked cheese grits into a small, greased container and empty it by turning it upside down on the center of the vegetables.
8. Now, spoon some browned sausage coins and some vegetables, forming a ring around the center mound of cheese grits.
9. Finally, arrange four shrimp in an attractive way at the top of the mound of grits. Repeat for more serving.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!
You may use raw shrimp and allow a little more cooking time. You may also remove the shells and tails before cooking.
If you are looking at preparing restaurant style gourmet dishes, take a look at this video where Betty prepares cajun style shrimp and grits that she saw in a restaurant and made up the recipe by herself. Now that is a fabulous job, the dish looks scrumptious and would taste luscious for sure. Watch on!