Batter Fried Bluegills
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for deep frying)|
|Cake flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (not the self-rising variety)|
|Corn starch||2 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bluegill/Other sunfish fillets||1 Pound, skinned|
|Lemon||1 , quartered|
1. Into a deep fryer or large heavy saucepan heat pouring the vegetable oil to a depth of about 3 inches until it reaches a temperature of 375 ° on a deep-frying thermometer.
To prepare the batter:
2. Sift together flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper onto a plate or a sheet of wax paper.
3. In a bowl with a wire whisk, beat the egg yolk and water to a smooth cream and then incorporate the flour mixture, a few tablespoons at a time.
4. In a bowl beat the egg white with a wire whisk or a rotary or electric beater until it is stiff enough to stand in unwavering peaks on the beater when it is lifted from the bowl.
5. Scoop the egg white over the batter and fold it in gently with a rubber spatula.
6. Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towels.
7. Pick up one fillet with tongs, immerse it in the batter and deep-fry together with 3 or 4 such fillets at a time, turning them with a slotted spoon for 3 minutes until golden brown.
8. Then transfer the fillets to paper towels to drain.
9. Arrange the fillets attractively on a heated platter and serve them at once, accompanied by the lemon quarters.
Calories 324 Calories from Fat 120
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g20.8%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.3 mg15.4%
Sodium 363.7 mg15.2%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.4%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 28 g56.5%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 18.8%
Calcium 3% Iron 2.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet