Philadelphia Baked Clams
|Softened butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon, cut into 1/2-inch bits|
|Small hard shell clams||1 Quart, shucked|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, finely grated|
|Anchovy paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled dried thyme||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Tabasco sauce||4 Drop|
|Cracker crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Made Fresh From Saltine Crackers, Placed Between Sheets Of Wax Paper And Coarsely Crushed With A Rolling Pin)|
1. Preheat the oven to 450°.
2. With a pastry brush, spread the tablespoon of softened butter evenly over the bottom and sides of an 8- to 9-inch shallow baking dish.
3. Spread the clams on paper towels and pat them completely dry with more paper towels.
4. Then arrange them in one or two layers in the buttered dish.
5. Combine the cream, the 4 tablespoons of butter bits, the sherry, lemon peel, anchovy paste, thyme and Tabasco in a small saucepan.
6. Stirring constantly, cook over moderate heat until the butter melts.
7. Pour the cream mixture over the clams and sprinkle the cracker crumbs on top.
8. Bake in the middle of the oven for 10 minutes until the top is brown and the sauce bubbles.
9. Serve at once from the baking dish.
Calories 447 Calories from Fat 246
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.7%
Saturated Fat 15.7 g78.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154.1 mg51.4%
Sodium 284.7 mg11.9%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.74 g3%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 32 g63.4%
Vitamin A 29.8% Vitamin C 53%
Calcium 14.1% Iron 184.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet