|Dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Warm water||3 Tablespoon (105� To 115�F)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|All-purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Sifted powdered sugar||1 Ounce|
1. In a large mixing bowl add warm water and dissolve yeast in it. Stir well.
2. Let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Scald milk, add sugar, shortening, and salt. Mix well.
4. Let stand until lukewarm (105° to 115°).
5. Add egg, 2 cups flour, and milk mixture to the yeast mixture. Stir well.
6. Add remaining flour and mix.
7. Lightly flour a flat surface and knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Grease a bowl and put the dough in it.
9. Cover and keep in a warm place (85°). Let rise for 1 hour until doubled in bulk.
10. Punch the dough. Lightly flour a flat surface and keep the dough in it.
11. Roll dough into a 12- x 10-inch rectangle.
12. Cut into 2-inch squares.
13. Lightly flour a flat surface and arrange beignets over it.
14. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes until doubled in bulk.
15. In a skillet heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 375°.
16. Drop 3 or 4 beignets at a time and fry.
17. Cook for 1 minute on each side until golden.
18. Drain on paper towels.
19. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.