Beef Stew with Zucchini
|Boneless beef chunks/Stew beef||2 Pound, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green pepper||1 , seeded and chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , cut into 2-inch pieces|
|Potatoes||6 , pared and quartered|
|Zucchini||2 , stemmed and cut into 1-inch slices|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
1) Over moderate-high heat, place a large skillet and thoroughly brown the meat pieces in oil.
2) Over the meat, sprinkle half of the salt and pepper.
3) Transfer the meat to a bowl.
4) In the skillet, saute the onion till it is translucent and then add it to a slow cooker.
5) In the skillet, that is still hot, swirl the water and scrape up the pan juices. Turn the liquid into the slow cooker.
6) Add the bay leaf, green pepper, marjoram, potatoes, celery and zucchini. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper.
7) On top, place the browned meat.
8) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
9) To a serving platter, transfer the meat and vegetables and keep them warm.
10) From the top of the cooking liquid, skim 1 to 2 tablespoons of fat and heat in a medium skillet placed over moderate-low heat.
11) Into the fat, stir the flour.
12) Over the flour, pour the hot cooking liquid and rapidly beat to make a smooth sauce.
13) Gently simmer till the sauce is as thick as whipped cream. Pour it all over the vegetables and meat.
14) Serve the preparation while it is still hot. Makes a good main course dish and can be served with toasted bread or even cooked rice.