Cheese And Kidney Charlotte
|Sheep kidney/1 ox kidney||6|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Cold water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Bacon rashers||3 , rind removed|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Bread slice||8 , crusts removed and halved|
|Cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), grated|
|Parsley||1 Teaspoon (Or As Required)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Immerse the kidneys in lukewarm water and soak for about 15 minutes;
3) Pat dry, then discard the fine skin and white core from the kidneys and chop finely.
4) In a saucepan, combine the kidneys with onion, cold water, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and bacon rashers.
5) Cover the saucepan and simmer until the kidney is tender; then remove from the heat.
6) In a bowl, blend the flour with a little cold water and stir into the kidney mixture.
7) Return the saucepan to heat, stir continuously and cook until the mixture comes to a boil.
8) Cook for another 1 minute, then keep aside.
9) In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and combine with the milk.
10) Dip the bread pieces lightly into the egg and milk mixture, then coat with the grated cheese.
11) Line a buttered dish with a few bread slices and spoon in the kidney mixture.
12) Cover with rest of the bread slices and sprinkle with rest of the cheese.
13) Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese topping is melted and golden brown.
14) Garnish the Cheese and Kidney Charlotte with parsley and serve hot.