Boston Brown Bread
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rye flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dark molasses||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Seedless raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1) Combine together the rye flour and whole wheat in a large bowl along with the baking soda, cornmeal and salt.
2) In the center of the mixture, make a well and pour in the buttermilk, molasses and raisins.
3) Stir well till all the ingredients are combined together.
4) Butter a 2-quart mold, flour it and fill it with the batter. Ensure that the batter does not fill more than 2/3rd of the mold.
5) With a foil, cover the mold and tie with string.
6) On a trivet in the bottom of a slow cooker, set the mold.
7) Into the cooker, pour hot water.
8) Cover the cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, till the top is dry and has receded from the mold-€™s edges.
9) Let the bread cool on a rack for about 10 minutes.
10) Transfer the bread to a serving plate and serve warm or cold. If preferred, slice the bread before serving it.