Maine Chicken Pie
|Whole stewing chicken||5 Pound (1 no.)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Quart|
|Monosodium glutamate||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chicken broth||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (Few grains)|
|Yellow food color||3 Drop|
1. Line 9" deep-dish pie pan with pastry.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°
3. In a large kettle, place the chicken and add next six ingredients. Add the 1/2 tsp mono-sodium glutamate, and 1 tsp salt and mix well. Simmer the mixture covered until it becomes tender. This will take about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
4. Remove bird and then strip meat from bones. Keep the meat pieces large and set aside to cool.
5. In another large pan, mix the flour, onion salt, celery salt, pepper, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp mono-sodium glutamate with 1/2 c chicken broth to a smooth paste.
6. Heat 3 cups of chicken broth to boiling and mix it with the flour mixture. Use a wire whisk to get a smooth mix and then cook this mixture over medium heat while stirring to get a smooth thick mixture.
7. Add food coloring and then mix in the chicken and blend well.
8. Fill the pie pan with the chicken mixture and cover with a lid of pastry. Seal well and flute edges. Make several slits for steam to escape around edge of top crust.
9. Bake in hot oven for 45 minutes till cooked through.
10. Serve hot or freeze for later.
Remaining broth may be frozen or used to make gravy to serve with pie
Calories 910 Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91.4%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 283.5 mg94.5%
Sodium 1723.2 mg71.8%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g5%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.5%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 73 g146.1%
Vitamin A 45.2% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 22.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet