Boston Baked Beans
|Pea beans||2 Pound (1 quarter)|
|Brown sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt pork||3⁄4 Pound|
1. Wash the beans and soak overnight in water.
2. Scrape pork rind. Cut gashes in fat 1/2 apart.
3. Preheat oven to 275°.
4. Drain out beans from water the next day.
5. Keep in a saucepan with water and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until skins burst.
6. Transfer along with water into bean pot or heavy casserole.
7. In a small bowl mix salt, brown sugar, molasses, and mustard with 1 cup boiling water.
8. Pour the mixture over beans.
9. Press the pork into beans leaving only rind exposed.
10. Cover the pot and bake in slow oven for 6 to 8 hours without stirring. Add more water if required.
11. Remove cover 1/2 hour before baking is over.
12. Serve hot.