Lord Baltimore Cake Gold Cake
|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For white mountain cream frosting|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|For lord baltimore filling|
|Toasted coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), flaked|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Candied red cherries||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
|Orange rind||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease two 9X1 1/2-inch layer cake pans and dust with flour.
WHITE MOUNTAIN CREAM FROSTING
3) In a small saucepan, sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt.
4) Cover and heat to boil.
5) Remove the lid, and allow to boil gently until the temperature comes to 242° on a candy thermometer.
6) In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks.
7) Gently stream hot syrup in the egg whites mixture, beating continuously at high speed until frosting is stiff.
8) Fold in the vanilla.
LORD BALTIMORE FILLING
9) In a bowl, whisk together coconut, pecans, cherries, orange rind, and almond extract.
10) Stir the White Mountain cream frosting in the coconut mixture.
11) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
12) In large mixer bowl, place together sugar, shortening, egg yolks, and vanilla.
13) Beat the sugar mixture at high speed for 3 minutes.
14) Take the bowl out from the mixer.
15) Slowly stir in the flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth.
16) Remove the batter into prepared pans.
17) Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
18) Allow to cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
19) Using a knife loosen the edges and turn out the cakes on racks.
20) Leave until completely cooled.
21) Place the cake layers together with lord Baltimore filling.
22) Place the frost side and top with remaining White Mountain cream frosting.
23) Garnish with pecan halves and cherry halves, if desired.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4210 Calories from Fat 1432
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 163 g250.9%
Saturated Fat 48.8 g243.8%
Trans Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 762.9 mg254.3%
Sodium 3342.4 mg139.3%
Total Carbohydrates 637 g212.4%
Dietary Fiber 39.7 g158.6%
Sugars 317 g
Protein 80 g159.1%
Vitamin A 23.5% Vitamin C 23.9%
Calcium 154.9% Iron 36.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet