Classic Brunswick Stew
|Squirrels||70 , cleaned, dressed and cut|
|Chicken||2 , cleaned, dressed and cut|
|Salt pork||2 1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Lima beans||2 1⁄2 Gallon|
|Potatoes||3 1⁄2 Gallon, chopped|
|Tomatoes||4 Gallon, peeled and chopped|
|Carrots||1 Gallon, cut into cubes|
|Fresh corn||2 1⁄2 Gallon, chopped|
|Cabbage||1 Gallon, shredded (optional)|
|Red pepper pod||1 , chopped|
|Black pepper||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Salt||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
1. In a medium sized skillet, place chopped salt pork and saute on a medium flame till it oozes out its essential oils. Keep aside.
2. In a large sized deep skillet, place 4 gallons of water and bring to boil.
3. Add cut squirrels and chicken and cook on a medium flame till meat is cooked, while stirring occasionally.
4. Once cooked, add sauteed pork along with its drippings and mix well.
5. Add remaining 2 gallons water and bring to a boil.
6. Add vegetables (apart from cabbage) and cook on a medium flame till vegetables are done.
7. Add cabbage, red pepper, salt, sugar and pepper and simmer on a low flame for 1 hour till stew thickens, while stirring occasionally.
8. Transfer on to individual bowls and serve immediately.
Calories 250 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 71.9 mg24%
Sodium 674.2 mg28.1%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 23 g45.4%
Vitamin A 51.2% Vitamin C 48.6%
Calcium 3.4% Iron 29.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet