Boston Brown Bread
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Buttermilk/1 cup milk plus 1/2 tablespoon vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rye flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole-wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (For Greasing)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1) Place the slow cooker over high heat.
2) Lightly coat a 5-cup bread mold with butter.
3) In a bowl, fold together oil, egg, molasses, buttermilk and raisins.
4) In another bowl sift together rye and wheat flour, soda, salt and add corn meal.
5) Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until lightly mixed.
6) Do not over mix.
7) Transfer the flour mixture into the mold, until 2/3 filled.
8) Wrap the top of the mold with foil and secure with a string.
9) Place the mold in the cooker.
10) Gently stream in the boiling water, to come halfway up the sides of the mold.
11) Put the lid on and cook over high heat for 2 to 3 hours.
12) Take the mold out the cooker and let it rest for 10 minutes.
13) Invert the can to remove the bread.
14) Place the bread on the wire rack and allow to cool completely.
15) Slice and serve with butter or cream cheese if desired.