Creole Crab Cakes With Red Horseradish Sauce
|Finely chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped green peppers||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Minced garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Seafood seasoning||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 Large, divided|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Crab claw meat||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Clarified butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For red horseradish sauce :|
|Red bell pepper||1 Small|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Prepared horseradish||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a heavy large frying pan, melt the butter over a medium heat.
2) Add the chopped onions, green peppers, celery, garlic, bay leaf and seafood seasoning.
3) Saute for about 10 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
4) Keep aside to cool, remove and discard the bay leaf.
5) In a bowl, beat 1 egg, then stir in the bread crumbs and cooled vegetable mixture; mix thoroughly.
6) Add the crab meat and mix them gently.
7) Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape into patties.
8) In a shallow flat dish, beat rest of the egg with a fork and gradually whisk in the milk.
9) In another plate place the flour and dredge the patties with flour, then dip in the egg mixture, then again dredge with flour.
10) In a large frying pan, heat 1/4 cup clarified butter over a medium heat.
11) Shallow fry the crab cakes until golden brown on all sides.
12) Remove the crab cakes with a slotted spoon on paper towels, drain.
13) Repeat with rest of the clarified butter and crab cakes.
14) Red Horseradish Sauce: Roast the red pepper over a flame or under a broiler until the skin is dark and blistered.
15) Transfer into a plastic bag and allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes.
16) Peel the pepper under running water, remove the seeds and stem; then cut the pepper into strips.
17) In a food processor, process the pepper in to a smooth puree.
18) Add the sour cream and horseradish, process until thoroughly blended.
19) Serve the Creole Crab Cakes with Red Horseradish Sauce immediately.