Chuck Roast in Cast Iron Pot
|Chuck roast||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Dry rub||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (onion powder, Tony’s onion powder, granulated garlic powder and bay leaf powder)|
|Sweet onion||1 Medium, chop|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chop|
|Garlic pods||10 Clove (50 gm), halved|
|Turnip||3 Medium, quartered|
|Baby carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red potatoes with skin||10 Small, quartered|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Peel and slice the garlic in half, set aside.
3. Wash and pat dry the chick roast, using a sharp knife make cuts in the roast and stuff garlic cloves in the cuts.
4. In a bowl combine salt, granulated garlic powder, tony’s onion powder and bay leaves powder, set aside.
5. Season the roast with dry rub, set aside.
6. Peel and coarsely chop the sweet onion, celery and bell pepper, set aside.
7. Peel and cut the turnips into quarters, and cut the red potatoes as well into quarters.
8. Coat the cast iron pot with olive oil; add the sweet onion, garlic and celery.
9. Place the chuck roast in the center, roast in the preheated oven for 1 hour, uncovered.
10. After 1 hour pour water and add the turnips, baby carrots and red potatoes all around the roast.
11. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 300 degrees.
12. Place the greased cover on the pot and allow to cook covered for 2 more hours.
13. After 2 hours remove from the oven, the internal temperature should be about 160 degree.
14. Once done and remove the roast and when it’s cool enough to handle cut the roast into slices.
15. Serve over cooked rice or creamy mashed potatoes.
If you want to brown the potatoes put it back in the oven for 20 minutes uncovered.
Calories 407 Calories from Fat 106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.1%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g18.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 102.1 mg34%
Sodium 338.8 mg14.1%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.7%
Sugars 5.4 g
Protein 45 g89.6%
Vitamin A 33.2% Vitamin C 39.9%
Calcium 8.1% Iron 27.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet