Sugar Plum Bread Using Crisco
Active dry yeast - 2 packages
Nutmeg - 1/4 teaspoon
Milk - 1 1/3 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Crisco - 1/4 cup
Salt - 1 1/2 teaspoons
Eggs - 2
Vanilla - 1/2 teaspoon
Raisins - 1 cup
Mixed fruits and peels - 1/2 cup, chopped
1. In a large mixer bowl, mix 2 3/4 cups flour with yeast and nutmeg.
2. In a saucepan, put together milk, sugar, Crisco, and salt; stir and heat just to warm and melt Crisco.
3. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredient mixture.
4. Add vanilla and eggs; using an electric mixer beat the mixture on low speed for ½ minute; constantly scrape sides to blend well.
5. Increase the speed to high and beat for 3 minutes.
6. Stir in raisins and fruits.
7. Gradually add remaining flour and mix with hands to make a soft dough.
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before baking.
9. Lightly flour a surface and knead the dough until smooth.
10. Grease a bowl and turn the dough in it to grease surface.
11. Cover the bowl; let it stand for 2 hours to rise and double.
12. Punch down the dough and divide into two halves.
13. Cover dough and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
14. Shape dough into two Sugar Plum round loaves or one half into Baby Sugarplums and other half into Little Sugarplum Loaves.
15. Cover dough and let stand for another 30 minutes to rise and double.
16. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
17. Remove cake from pans and cool over wire racks.
18. In a small mixing bowl, beat together shortening and butter until creamy.
19. Gradually add and beat confectioners' sugar, vanilla and milk to achieve desired consistency.
20. Frost leaves, slice and serve.