Oven Beef Stew
Salt - 1 1/2 teaspoons
Pepper - Dash
Beef chuck - 1 1/2 pounds, cut in 1-inch cubes
Crisco - 2 tablespoons
Condensed tomato soup - 2 cans (10 1/2 ounces each)
Water - 2 soup cans (2 1/2 cups)
Onion - 1 1/2 cups, chopped
Dried basil - 1/2 teaspoon
Potatoes - 4 medium
Carrots - 4 medium
Dry red wine - 1/2 cup or water -1/2 cup
1. Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, salt and pepper.
3. Add meat and coat well with flour mixture.
4. In a Dutch oven, heat Crisco and brown flour coated meat in it.
5. Stir in soup, water, onion and basil.
6. Cover the oven and bake for 1 hour.
7. Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
8. Refrigerate the dish at least overnight or until served.
9. About 1 ½ hours before serving, remove from refrigerator.
10. Pare potatoes and carrots; cut into cubes.
11. Add them to the stew mixture and stir in wine.
12. Cover and bake in preheated oven for another 1 hour until meat is tender.
13. Serve piping hot Oven Beef Stew with some garlic bread or toasts.