Bell Peppers And Onion Seafood Gumbo
Vegetable Oil- 1/2 cup
Onion- 1 large, chopped
Garlic- 1 pod, chopped
Bell Pepper- 1/2 piece, chopped
Parsley- 1/4 cup, chopped
Shrimp- 2 pounds
Crab Meat- 1 pound
Oysters With Oyster Water- 1 quart
Bay Leaves- 1no.
Worcestershire Sauce- 1 tablespoon
Water- 2 quarts or more
Salt- to taste
Pepper- to taste
Tabasco- to taste
File- 1 tablespoon
1) In a non-stick shallow pan, heat oil and stir in the flour using a wooden spoon.
2) Stir continuously until the flour is light browned in colour.
3) Mix in onion, garlic, peppers and parsley and simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
4) Add crab meat in the flour mixture.
5) Put the bay leaves, Worcestershire Sauce, salt, pepper and Tabasco.
6) Simmer the crab mixture for more 15 minutes.
7) Stir in the shrimp and oysters and allow to cook for 5 more minutes on a high heat until oysters begin to curl.
8) Be careful shrimp and oysters overcook easily.
9) Remove the pan from the heat, and add file.
10) Serve hot sprinkled with chopped parsley if desired.
File is powdered sassafras leaves and is used as thickener. So it should not be used in excess.
If fresh crab is used, it can be nice to keep few chunks of meat from the claws.