Beef Stewed In Red Wine
|Shoulder steak/Chuck steak||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Salt pork/Streaky bacon||3 Ounce|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Small mushrooms||6 Ounce|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Pint|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
1. Cut meat into 1/4" thick strips and keep aside in a deep dish.
2. Drizzle salt, pepper and herbs over meat.
3. Sprinkle wine and oil over it.
4. Top with sliced onion.
5. Keep aside the meat for 3-6 hours in marinate.
6. In a skillet melt dripping and fry bacon until cooked. Remove and keep aside.
7. Add small onions and fry until brown. Remove and keep aside.
8. Drain out meat and brown in dripping.
9. Add flour over meat and cook until fat is absorbed.
10. Strain in the marinade.
11. Place herbs and garlic in a muslin.
12. Add the muslin bag along with the stock.
13. Season as desired.
14. Cook covered for 2 hours.
15. Add browned small onions and sliced but not peeled mushrooms. Cook for another 1/2 hour.
16. Discard the herbs and garlic and adjust seasoning.
17. Place the meat at the centre of a hot dish.
18. Arrange mushrooms and onions at each end.
Calories 629 Calories from Fat 344
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.9%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g64.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.3 mg35.1%
Sodium 1316.5 mg54.9%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.6%
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 32 g64.8%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 18.6%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 4.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet