Culinary Carrie: Bourbon-Pecan Encrusted Sea Scallops With Roasted Beets & Arugula Salad
|For the roasted beets|
|Fresh beets||6 Medium|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For the pecans|
|Pecans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sweet bourbon||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|For the sea scallops|
|Sea scallops||1 Pound|
|For the breading|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Panko bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Eggs||1 , beaten|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
|For the arugula salad with orange infused vinaigrette|
|Arugula leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Brown mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||3 Teaspoon|
|Light brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Rice wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|For the orange infused vinaigrette|
|Orange juice||2 Medium|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) (cut in half only)|
|For the beet glace|
|Beets||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Leftover of the roasted beets)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fruit jam||1 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1 Teaspoon (cornstarch in a little cold water)|
FOR THE ROASTED BEETS
1. Preheat the oven at 425 degree.
2. Clean and trim the tips and greens.
3. Arrange the beet on a baking dish and add water about ¼ inch deep.
4. Cover it with a lid and roast the beets in a preheated oven for 45 minutes.
5. After 45 minutes, remove the beets and allow it to cool slightly.
6. Using a paper towel or cloves, slip out the skins of the beets.
7. Once done cool further and slice into ½ inch rounds.
8. Set aside until needed.
9. Reduce the oven temperature to 275 degree for roasting of the pecans.
FOR THE PECAN ENCRUSTED SEA SCALLOPS
1. Preheat the oven at 275 degree.
2. In a small pan on medium heat add pecans and butter, stir until the pecans are coated with butter.
3. Sprinkle salt, nutmeg and cayenne pepper and roast until butter browns.
4. Lastly carefully pour bourbon over the pecans, let the pecans sizzle and reduce the heat and let the liquid evaporate completely.
5. Spread the pecans on a cookie sheet and bake them in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes, remove and let it cool.
7. Once the pecans are completely cooled, chop the pecans into a breadcrumbs consistency.
8. Increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees for the scallops.
9. In a shallow bowl combine flour with salt and pepper.
10. In another shallow bowl beat the eggs.
11. In another shallow bowl combine the pecans and panko breadcrumbs mixture.
12. Dredge the scallops in the flour mixture, dip it in beaten eggs and then bread it with the pecan and panko breadcrumbs mixture.
13. Place it on a cookie sheet; continue until the scallops are over.
14. Once done bake it in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes.
15. In a serving plate place a slice of roasted beet in the center of the plate.
16. Followed by pecan encrusted scallops.
17. Then add another slice of roasted beets add another pecan encrusted scallops.
18. Finally a third roasted beet slice to the stack.
19. Gently place a small amount of the arugula salad on top of the stack.
20. Drizzle some extra vinaigrette on the plate.
21. Finally, add a dollop of the beet glace and drag through it with a spoon.
22. Serve the Bourbon Pecan Encrusted Sea Scallops with Roasted Beets & Arugula Salad.
FOR THE ARUGUA SALAD WITH ORANGE INFUSED VINAIGRETTE
1. While the scallops are getting baked start making the arugula salad and beet glace.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the orange juice and garlic.
3. Reduce the liquid by half, once done strain and reserve the warm orange juice reduction.
4. In a mixing bowl combine the olive oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, brown mustard and salt and pepper.
5. Add the orange juice reduction and whisk everything together.
6. Mix the dressing with the arugula in a bowl and toss it well.
7. Keep aside until needed.
FOR THE BEET GLACE
1. In a small pan over medium heat mash the discarded roasted beets with a fork.
2. Add chicken stock followed by fruit jam and mix well over medium heat.
3. Transfer the beet mixture in a bowl and clean the saucepan thoroughly and place it back on the heat.
4. Using a small sieve pour beet mixture through sieve and back into the pan.
5. There should be no lumps and you could have a clear broth.
6. Bring it to a simmer and add the cornstarch slurry until it thickens.