Monterey Fish Stew
|Firm white fish||1 Pound (Use Either Fresh Or Frozen, Such As Cod, Haddock, Or Sole)|
|Onion||1 Small, diced to make 1/3 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry vermouth||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Instant chicken bouillon granules||2 Teaspoon|
|Crumbled dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Peeled potatoes||2 , sliced to make 2 cups|
|Carrot||1⁄2 , sliced to make 1/2 cups|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, peeled and chopped to make 1 1/2 cups|
|Fresh mushrooms||6 , quartered|
|Snipped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. If frozen fish is being used, thaw fish and cut into bite size pieces.
2. In a saucepan, heat butter or margarine and cook onion and garlic till tender but not brown.
3. Combine 1-cup water, potatoes, carrot, the vermouth, bouillon granules, salt, marjoram, pepper, and bay leaf; bring the mixture to boil.
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or till vegetables are just tender.
5. Add fish, tomatoes, mushrooms, and parsley; cover and simmer for 5 minutes more or till fish flakes easily with a fork.
6. Remove fish and vegetables and set aside.
7. Stir in 1/4-cup cold water and cornstarch into the pan; cook till mixture is thick and bubbly.
8. Return fish and vegetables to sauce; heat through.
9. Arrange the soup into individual bowl and equally divide the fish and vegetables among each serving.
10. Serve hot with toasted garlic bread.
Calories 343 Calories from Fat 93
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g16.1%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g22.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75.1 mg25%
Sodium 1047.3 mg43.6%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.4%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 27 g53.8%
Vitamin A 56.1% Vitamin C 69.3%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 18.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet