Boston Baked Beans
|Dried pea beans||10 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Firmly packed dark brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Prepared mustard||2 Tablespoon|
|Lean salt pork||1⁄2 Pound, thinly sliced|
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Rinse the beans. In a large saucepan, add water and beans. Let it boil for 2 minutes.
3) Take the saucepan off the flame. Cover and let rest for about 60 minutes.
4) Into the same saucepan, add the onions. Let it boil before turning down the flame. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Check if they are done by blowing on a spoonful of beans. If their skins slide off easily they are cooked through.
5) Add in the brown sugar, molasses, mustard and salt. Mix well.
6) In a 10-cup bean pot or casserole, layer the beans along with slices of salt pork.
7) Bake for 3 1/2 hours covered.
8) Remove the cover and bake for 30 more minutes or until the beans turn dark brown. Sprinkle a little water if the beans become too dry.
9) Serve the Boston Baked Beans with meat gravy, vegetable curry or plain bread.