|Battenberg cake/Soft sponge cake||1|
|Canned fruit cocktail||8 1⁄2 Ounce (1 small can, 234 g)|
|Evaporated milk||3⁄4 Can (7.5 oz) (1 small can)|
|Whipped cream||2 Tablespoon (as required)|
1) Use a 1-litre (1 -lb) loaf tin to line with freezer paper or foil.
2) Make 8 slices from the cake. Place the cake slices around the sides of the tin, cutting to fit if necessary.
3) In a saucepan, drain the fruit syrup from the can, add jelly and heat gently to dissolve the jelly.
4) In a measuring cup, pour this mixture and add cold water to make up to 250 ml (1/2 pint).
5) In a saucer, place 30 ml (2 tablespoons) jelly in a saucer and stir in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) water.
6) Dip one side of the cake slice into the jelly and press against the side of the tin.
7) At the center of the base of the tin, place fruit pieces with a cherry.
8) Pour in the remaining jelly from the saucer and place in the refrigerator to set.
9) In an bowl, whisk the evaporated milk until thick.
10) In the jug with the jelly, add 30 ml (2 tablespoons) water and whisk into the milk.
11) Fold in the fruit cocktail then pour into the tin.
12) Leave in the refrigerator until set.
13) In a serving dish, invert the preparation by removing the paper or foil. Garnish with cream and pieces of cherry and angelica around the base.
To freeze, place in the freezer, remove from the tin and over-wrap with more foil or paper.
Store for up to 2 months.
Unwrap and thaw on a serving dish.