Beef And Bean Ragout
|Dry red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked in water overnight (dark red)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef stew meat||2 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, cut up (1 can)|
|Dry red wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, medium, peeled and cubed for 3 cups|
|Onions||2 Medium, cut into wedges|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, chopped for 1/2 cup|
1. In a saucepan with the water bring the beans to boil.
2. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes; drain the beans.
3. Combine flour and the 1/2-teaspoon salt; coat meat with flour mixture.
4. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and brown the meat, half at a time.
5. Return the entire meat to the pan and add drained beans, un-drained tomatoes, wine, garlic, the 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, the sugar, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf to the meat; bring the mixture to boil.
6. Cover and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours or till meat is nearly tender.
7. Add potatoes, onions, and green pepper.
8. Cook 30 minutes more or till meat and potatoes are tender.
9. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.
10. Arrange the stew in a large serving bowl and serve hot with toasted garlic bread.