Oven Baked Beef Stew
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Beef stew meat||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Carrots||4 Medium, cut into 2-inch strips|
|Onions||4 Small, quartered|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Crushed dried thyme||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Frozen peas||10 Ounce, broken apart (1 Package)|
|Refrigerated biscuits||6 (1 Package)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Crushed crisp rice cereal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a plastic bag mix flour, salt, and pepper; add the beef cubes, a few at a time; shake to coat evenly.
3. Place coated beef cubes in a 3-quart casserole; add carrots and onions.
4. In bowl mix together water, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, thyme, garlic, and bay leaf; pour over meat mixture in casserole.
5. Bake, covered, in 350°F oven for about 2 hours.
6. Stir in frozen peas into stew mixture; cover and bake 20 minutes longer.
7. Remove casserole from oven; discard bay leaf.
8. Increase oven temperature to 425°F
9. Meanwhile, quarter the refrigerated biscuits; dip each quarter in milk, then roll in cereal.
10. Place atop hot stew.
11. Bake, uncovered, in 425° F oven for about 12 minutes or till biscuits are done.
12. Serve the stew in soup plates and serve hot with toasted garlic bread.