Old Fashioned Coleslaw
|Margarine||4 Teaspoon (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon)|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Low fat milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Powdered mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Shredded green cabbage||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped pimiento||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a small saucepan, melt margarine over medium-high heat.
2) To this, add the flour and mix well, quickly.
3) Over medium-high heat, cook this for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
4) Now, add milk to this mixture.
5) Now, over low heat, simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring in between. By now, the mixture will become thick. Keep it aside.
6) In a small mixing bowl, add the egg, vinegar, mustard, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper.
7) With a wire whisk, beat the ingredients in this bowl well.
8) To the beaten egg mixture, add some of the milk mixture.
9) Now, to the milk mixture in the saucepan, add this.
10) Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. The flavors should blend well by now. Do not overcook the milk. Keep it aside to cool.
11) In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
12) On top, add the dressing. Toss well.
13) With a plastic wrap, cover and keep in the refrigerator for an hour. The flavors should blend well before serving.
14) Serve the Old Fashioned Coleslaw cold, in a decorative platter.