All American Barbecued Chicken
|Chicken pieces||6 Pound (3 kilogram)|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Bottled barbecue sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (basic, adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Prepare the grill and position the oiled grill rack 4-6 inches (10-15 cm) away from the fire.
2. Sprinkle the chicken pieces on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Place them, skin side down, around the edge of the grill rack so they are the hot coals.
4. Grill, uncovered for about 10-15 minutes turning frequently, until well browned,.
5. Watch the chicken constantly, and have a spray bottle of water handy to douse flare-ups.
6. Move the chicken pieces to the middle of the grilling rack-€”they may overlap slightly-€”so that they are no longer directly over the fire.
7. Cover the grill and open the vents halfway.
8. Cook for 10 minutes.
9. Turn the chicken, brush it with the sauce, re-cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
10. Brush again with the sauce, then cover and cook until the chicken is no longer pink when cut at the bone, about 5 minutes longer.
11. Arrange in a large serving plate and serve the hot with some grilled vegetables as side dish
12. Pass the remaining sauce at the table.