Kentucky Pork Salad
|Dijon mustard||5 Tablespoon|
|Unsulphured molasses||6 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Pork loin chops||6 , cut 1 inch thick|
|Yams||3⁄4 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices (About 3 Yams)|
|Fresh lime juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shallots||3 Tablespoon, minced|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely cracked|
|Peanut oil||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Chicory head||1 , torn into bite-size pieces (Curly Endive)|
|Red cabbage||1 Pound, shredded (1 Small Sized)|
|Tart apples||2 , cored and cut into wedges (Such As Granny Smith)|
1) In a large baking dish, add 2 tablespoons of the mustard, 3 tablespoons of the molasses, 2 tablespoons of the bourbon and 1/8 teaspoon of the hot sauce. Combine the items.
2) Place the pork chops and sliced yams into the mixture and turn to coat.
3) Cover and let marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
4) Light the charcoal or preheat the broiler.
5) Remove the pork chops and yams from the marinade, scraping off most of it.
6) Place on the grill by covering with a tent of aluminum foil, or broil about 3 to 4 inches from the heat, turning once, until glazed and browned but white and moist throughout, about 6 minutes on each side.
7) Grill the yam slices for 8 to 10 minutes on each side, until soft and browned.
8) In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons mustard, molasses and bourbon and 1/8 teaspoon hot sauce with the lime juice, shallots, parsley, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil in a steady stream to make a dressing.
9) Discard the bones from the pork chops and cut the meat into 1/2-inch cubes.
10) Place the pork in a shallow bowl, add the yams and half the dressing. Toss to coat well.
11) Use a platter, to line with the chicory tossed with a little dressing.
12) Add the shredded cabbage, also tossed with dressing, in a ring on the platter.
13) Toss the apple wedges in dressing and arrange in spokes around the platter.
14) Mound the dressed pork and yam slices in the center.
15) Alternately, toss all the ingredients with the remaining dressing at one time.
16) Drizzle extra dressing on top before serving.
Steps 1-7 can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool to room temperature, then wrap and refrigerate overnight. Let return to room temperature before continuing with the recipe.
Calories 640 Calories from Fat 327
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.6%
Saturated Fat 7.7 g38.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 78.2 mg26.1%
Sodium 343.2 mg14.3%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.2%
Sugars 17 g
Protein 27 g53.9%
Vitamin A 36.1% Vitamin C 231.5%
Calcium 14.6% Iron 15.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet