Huevos Rancheros New York Style
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large, minced|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned pinto beans||30 Ounce, drained, rinsed (Two 15 Ounce Each Cans)|
|Canned peeled italian tomatoes||14 Ounce, drained, chopped (1 Can)|
|Sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh plum tomatoes||2 Large, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Coarse fresh bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), made from 1 1/2 slices of firm- textured white bread|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Minced scallion greens||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh tomato salsa||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and saute until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the garlie, oregano, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Saute for 1 minute longer.
2. Add the mustard, beans and canned tomatoes to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the beans form a puree, about 20 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the sour cream and the chopped fresh plum tomatoes. Remove from the heat and set aside. (The can be made to this point several days ahead.)
3. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, tossing frequently, until golden and very crunchy, about 15 minutes. Toss with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin.
4. Beat the eggs with 2 tablespoons of water, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the cayenne and the minced scallion greens.
5. Preheat the oven to 250°. Heat a 7-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Brush with some of the remaining olive oil to grease lightly. Add about 2 tablespoons of the beaten egg mixture and immediately tilt and swirl the skillet to form a thin, even crepe. Cook until the egg is set and only slightly wet on top. Turn the crepe and cook for 5 seconds on the second side. Transfer the egg crepe to a cookie sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Continue cooking the remaining eggs in the same manner, lightly oiling the skillet each time, to make 8 egg crepes.
6. To assemble the dish, reheat the bean mixture over moderate heat until warm. Spread about 1 heaping tablespoon of beans onto each crepe. Fold into a triangle and place 2 on each of 4 warmed plates. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of Fresh Tomato Salsa, a sprinkling of bread crumbs and a small dollop of sour cream over each serving.