Whole Wheat Apple Betty
|Whole wheat bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Melted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Thinly sliced pared tart apples||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Raisins||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter.
2. Sprinkle about half the mixture over the base and sides of a baking dish.
3. Spread half the apples over the crumb base in a flat layer.
4. Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon rind; cover the apples with half the mixture.
5. Then sprinkle with half the lemon juice and all the raisins (if used).
6. Repeat the apple layer, then the layer of sugar mixture and remaining lemon juice.
7. Cover with the rest of the crumb mixture.
8. Place a lid or a sheet of foil over the dish.
9. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
10. Uncover the dish, and raise the oven heat to 400°F. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until the crumb topping is crisp and the apples are tender.
11. Serve hot with whipped cream or custard.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1624 Calories from Fat 345
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g60.8%
Saturated Fat 23.5 g117.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 96.8 mg32.3%
Sodium 600.8 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 308 g102.8%
Dietary Fiber 23.3 g93.2%
Sugars 203.5 g
Protein 16 g32.2%
Vitamin A 22.8% Vitamin C 1624.9%
Calcium 47.9% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet