Birria - Shredded Beef Stew
|Pasilla chile||8 Ounce (2 Packages, 4 Ounce Each)|
|Pasilla||8 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Lettuce||1 , shredded|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Chicken broth||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a 16-quart stock pot filled with water, add the meat in big chunks.
2) Bring to a boil.
3) Once the meat has boiled, add all the remaining ingredients except for the chicken broth and the chile pasilla.
4) Cover the pot and cook over low flame for about 6 hours.
5) Drain the liquid and reserve it.
6) Shred the cooked meat (by itself).
7) To the pot, add the chilies and allow to cook for about 10 more minutes.
8) Put the chilies without the stem in a blender along with 2 cups of the reserved juice from the pot and the chicken broth.
9) Blend the ingredients with the garlic, onion and green chilies and make a paste.
10) Drain the paste and add it to the meat.
11) Gently simmer for about 20 minutes till done.
12) The birria is served hot. Can be served in tacos with lettuce, onion, hot chile and some lemon. The stew can also be served as soup. As a main dish, the beef stew can be served with cooked rice and beans.