Pecan Cold Smoked Strip Steaks with Carolina Barbecue Sauce and Green Tomato Grits
|For the barbecue sauce|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||6 Tablespoon|
|Tomato ketchup||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Dried red pepper flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Teaspoon, minced|
|Minced garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Sassafras||1 Teaspoon, dried|
|Black pepper||2 Teaspoon, freshly cracked|
|Freshly cracked black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|For the steaks|
|Boneless beef strip steaks||72 Ounce (6 In Number, 12 Ounce Each)|
|For the tomato grits|
|Green tomatoes||5 , sliced|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Wild onion/Scallion||1 , chopped|
|Polenta/Hominy grits||1 Cup (16 tbs), medium ground|
1) In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together water, vinegar, brown sugar, tomato ketchup, red pepper flakes, garlic, sassafras, bourbon, sugar, salt and pepper.
2) Marinate the steaks in the mixture for about 12hours. Place the steaks in the refrigerator while they marinate.
2) Soak shells of pecan and/or pecan wood chips in a water.
3) Prepare the smoker by starting a small fire using charcoal and an electric starter.
4) Place ice cubes in the water tray of the smoker.
5) When the coals turn greyish in about 30 minutes, put the pecan shells and chips on the coals.
6) Smoke the marinated chicken on the rack closest to the heat. Keep aside the marinade for later use. Place the lid on the smoker leaving a small opening. Smoke the steaks for about 3 hours at about 100 degrees.
7) Get the grill ready and wet some hickory wood chips. Add it to the coal before grilling.
8) Grill the tomatoes over the coal until grill marks appear. Transfer into a blender, add in cream, garlic and wild onion and puree to form a smooth paste.
9) In a saucepan, cook the sauce and add in the grits or polenta slowly, stirring continuously for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm till serving time.
10) Tranfer the steak from the smoker to the grill along with the pecan wood chips. Grill the steak to your liking. Keep warm.
11) In a small saucepan, add the reserved barbecue sauce and let it come to a boil.
12) On a warm plate, place the steak in the centre and pour the barbecue sauce over it.
10) Serve the Tomato Grits alongside.