Cashew and Black Bean Chili
|Dried black beans/4 cups canned, drained and rinsed||1 Pound, pound, picked over, rinsed, and soaked for 8 hours|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs) (Plus 1 Cup)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and diced|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Red bell peppers||2 Medium, cored, seeded and diced|
|Jalapenos||2 , finely chopped|
|Carrots||2 Medium, scrubbed and diced|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole tomatoes||28 Ounce, coarsely chopped (1 Can)|
|Cashew pieces||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Been cooking water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh / Frozen)|
|Chopped flat leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Italian)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
1. In a large pot bring the dried beans to a boil in 8 cups of water, then reduce the heat and simmer until the beans are tender, approximately for 1 hour.
2. Drain the beans, reserving 1 1/2 cups of their cooking water.
3. In a dutch oven heat the olive oil over low heat and sautÃ© the onion, until it is soft.
4. Then add the garlic and saute it until it is fragrant.
5. To the pot add the red bell peppers, jalapenos, carrots, chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne, and a pinch of salt, cover and steam-saute the ingredients, stirring them often, for 6 minutes.
6. Add in the remaining 1 cup of water, tomatoes and cashews and simmer the ingredients until the carrots are tender, approximately for 15 minutes.
7. In a blender or food processor pureee half of the cooked black beans along with the reserved cooking water, until the beans are smooth.
8. Combine and stir the bean puree with the whole beans, to mix well.
9. Into the vegetable-nut-spice mixture stir the beans, then add the corn parsley and lemon juice.
10. Season the chili with salt and pepper and serve.