Creole Red Beans And Brown Rice
|Dried red kidney beans/4 cups canned beans, drained and rinsed||2 Cup (32 tbs), picked over, rinsed, and soaked for 8 hours|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 , peeled and diced|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Celery rib||3 , diced|
|Carrots||2 Medium, scrubbed and diced|
|Sweet potatoes||2 , peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks|
|Bonnet scotch||1 , seeded and finely chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1 Large, cored , seeded and diced|
|Dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme||2 Teaspoon|
|Okra||1⁄2 Pound, wiped with a dry towel, trimmed and diced|
|Dry sherry||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Cooked brown rice||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||4 Tablespoon|
|Scallions||4 , trimmed and thinly sliced|
1. In a large pot, cover the dried beans with water, bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until they are tender, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
2. In a saute pan heat the olive oil over medium heat, sautÃ© the onion and hot pepper, stirring them often, until they are soft and then sautÃ© in the garlic until it is fragrant.
3. Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, scotch bonnet, bell pepper, oregano, thyme, coriander, cumin and salt and steam-saute with cover stirring often, for 6 minutes.
4. Continue steam-sautÃ©ing the ingredients adding the okra 3 minutes longer.
5. Add the sherry and let the ingredients simmer until the sherry has evaporated.
6. Then stir the tomatoes and brown sugar with the other ingredients well and simmer the vegetables for 10 minutes.
7. To the vegetables add the cooked beans, simmer covering the pot, stirring it often, for 20 minutes and season with the salt and pepper.
8. Among 4 individual shallow bowls divide the rice and place the beans on top.
9. Garnish each portion with 1 tablespoon of the yogurt and a sprinkling of the scallions and serve.