Hawaiian Coconut Shrimp
|Jumbo shrimp||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Hoisin sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Lime juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ginger||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Beer||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coconut||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Remove the shrimp shells, leaving the tails.
2. Slit backs with a sharp knife and remove the vein shrimp.
3. Then slit underside of shrimp to resemble butterfly wings.
4. In a ceramic or glass bowl, make marinade by stirring together the Hoisin sauce, lime juice, and ginger.
5. Add the prepared shrimp and toss to coat with marinade.
6. Cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep the shrimp coated with the liquid.
7. To make the batter in a medium bowl, sift flour and salt.
8. Add lightly beaten eggs oil and beer to the flour and whisk quickly just until flour is wetted
9. Cover and refrigerate batter until required.
10. In a large frying pan or deep fat fryer, pour 3 inches of oil and heat to 365°F.
11. Drain the marinated shrimp.
12. Add marinade to the batter and whisk with a fork.
13. In separate shallow dishes, add 1/2 cup flour and coconut.
14. Crumb the shrimp one at a time by dredging in flour shaking off any excess.
15. Then dip in batter and roll in coconut.
16. Drop the battered shrimp into the hot oil and fry in batches until golden and crisp.
17. Remove with slotted spoon or chopsticks and drain on paper toweling
18. Serve hot and crispy with a dipping sauce of your choice.
Calories 281 Calories from Fat 136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g23.9%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 182.2 mg60.7%
Sodium 329.7 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.9%
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 20 g40.9%
Vitamin A 4.3% Vitamin C 6.1%
Calcium 5.8% Iron 17%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet