Chicken Waldorf Salad
|Roasting chicken||5 Pound|
|Whole black peppercorns||6|
|Mayonnaise||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Light cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Celery stalks||2 Large|
|Lettuce||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Red apple||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Walnut meats||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Remove giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken well under cold water.
2. In an 8-quart kettle Place, breast side down. Add carrot, cut-up celery, onion, whole peppercorns, 2 teaspoons salt, the bay leaf, and 1 quart water. Bring to boiling over high heat.
3. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, about 2 hours, or until chicken is tender. Remove kettle from heat.
4. Allow to stand, uncovered, and frequently spoon broth in kettle over chicken, 1 hour, or until cool enough to handle. Lift out chicken.
5. Strain broth, and refrigerate, covered, to use as desired.
6. Cut legs, thighs, and wings from chicken. Remove skin. Remove meat from bones in as large pieces as possible. Set aside.
7. Pull skin from remaining chicken, with sharp knife, cut between the breastbone and meat, removing breast meat in large piece. Check carefully, and remove any additional meat. Refrigerate, covered, to chill for about 1 ½ hours.
8. In large bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, milk, salt, pepper and stir until blended.
9. Cut celery, on the diagonal, into thin slices, to measure 1 cups. Add to dressing in bowl with diced apples.
10. Cut large pieces of chicken meat into 1-inch pieces, ideally there should be almost 5 cups. Add all meat to dressing with walnut meats. Toss lightly, to coat well.
11. Refrigerate, covered, until serving time.
12. Spoon salad into attractive bowl and garnish with lettuce, watercress and tomato wedges.