Alaska Mint Pie
|Shortbread cookies||5 Ounce|
|Shortbread cookies||5 Ounce, crushed to make 1 1/3 cups (1 Package)|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), firmly packed|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon, melted (3/4 Stick)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||10 Tablespoon|
|Green creme de menthe||2 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 Quart, softened|
|Cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Whipping)|
|Green food coloring||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven at 325°.
2) In a medium-size bowl, mix shortbread crumbs, pecans, brown sugar, and butter or margarine.
3) Press it firmly at the base and side of a 9-inch pie plate.
4) Bake in oven for 10 minutes, or until set.
5) Place on a wire rack and cool completely.
6) in a small saucepan add water with 4 tablespoons of sugar. Cover and boil.
7) Uncover and continue to boil without stirring for 7 minutes.
8) Remove from heat and cool slightly.
9) Stir in creme de menthe. Cool completely.
10) Over the cooled pie shell spread half the ice cream in an even layer.
11) Cover and chill.
12) In a small bowl mix cream with food coloring. Beat the mixture until stiff.
13) Fold in 2 tablespoons of cooled creme de menthe syrup into the cream.
14) Spread evenly over ice cream in pie shell.
15) Freeze again in refrigerator until firm.
16) Top with remaining icecream and freeze again
17) Wrap pie in foil or plastic wrap and kept frozen for a week.
18) In a medium-size bowl beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy-white and double in volume.
19) Add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time and beat until meringue stands in firm peaks.
20) Mound meringue on filling, tightly closing to crust edge and swirl into peaks.
21) Freeze overnight.
22) Before serving, brown meringue in very hot oven (450°) for 4 minutes until lightly golden.
23) Drizzle with remaining creme de menthe syrup on the top and serve immediately.