American Apple Pie
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Shortening/Lard / margarine / unsalted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), chilled, cut into bits|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Apples||2 1⁄2 Pound, cored, quartered, peeled and sliced to make 8 cups (Firm Sweet-Tart Variety)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Half and half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 425 degrees F
2) Prepare crust, in mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment.
3) Sift together flour and salt.
4) Add shortening and beat on low speed till mixture resembles cornmeal.
5) In a small bowl, add milk and egg and whisk. Pour it over flour mixture.
6) Run mixer in medium and beat till dough forms ball and doesn't stick on the sides of the bowl.
7) Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Flatten and wrap separately in plastic wrap.
8) Place 2 portions in refrigerator for 20 minutes or for up to 1 day.
9) The other portion can be refrigerated for 1 day or up to 1 month..
10) Take a 9- or 10-inch pie plate.
11) Floor a flat surface, roll out 1 dough portion into a round 1 /8 inch thick and approximately 2 inches larger in diameter than the pie plate.
12) Drape dough round over the rolling pin. Place it gently on the pie plate.
13) Press gently and trim dough to let it hang approximately 1/2 inch over the edge.
14) Fold the hanged part and press against the rim.
15) Baste the bottom and sides of the crust with the melted butter and set aside.
16) Prepare the filling, in a large bowl, toss apples, sugar and flour together.
17) Stir in vanilla and half-and-half and mix well.
18) Transfer filling into the prepared crust.
19) To prepare lattice top, roll out second dough portion of the size and thickness as the bottom round.
20) With a knife cut it into strips 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide.
21) Pick up the two longest strips from center and cross them over the center of the filled pie crust.
22) Lay half of the strips about 3/4 inch distance across the pie.
23) Fold every other strip from the center and place a cross strip close to the center of the pie.
24) Unfold the folded strips.
25) Repeat in this manner till half pie is covered in a woven pattern.
26) Repeat same on the other half of the pie.
27) Trim ends of the strips and even the edge of the bottom crust.
28) Lift the ends and brush with water the edges of the bottom crust.
29) Press strips gently against the rim and then softly flute the edges.
30) Bake for 1 0 minutes.
31) Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake 30 to 40 minutes till golden and the apples are tender.
32) Keep on racks to cool.
33) Upside on an aluminum pie plate over the top. Secure with rubber bands. Pack in a picnic basket.
34) Serve in individual platter.