Southern Strawberry Stack
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Broken pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream for whipping||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 450 degrees.
2) Butter the backs of 2 layer-cake pans of 9x1 ½-inches.
3) Into a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the brown sugar and stir well.
4) Use a pastry blender to cut in the margarine or butter till the mixture is crumbly. Add the pecans and stir well.
5) In a small bowl, beat the egg slightly with milk. Add the mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir well till evenly moist.
6) Over backs of the prepared pans, spread the mixture evenly within ½-inch of the edge.
7) Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or till the batter is golden.
8) While the cake is baking, rinse the strawberries, hull them and slice in a medium-sliced bowl. Sprinkle granulated sugar all over and toss lightly to mix.
9) Beat together the vanilla and cream in a medium-sized bowl till the mixture is stiff.
10) On a serving plate, put the hot shortcake layers together. Between the layers and on top, place the strawberries and cream.
11) Cut the cake into wedges and serve as preferred.