Low-Calorie Beef Stew
|Boneless beef chuck||2 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|White onions||16 Small (Peeled)|
|Small mushrooms/Small fresh mushrooms 16 1/2 lb||1 Pound|
|Meat extract paste||2 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Burgundy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Condensed beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce|
1. Heat Dutch oven and add beef cubes, a few at a time.
2. Quickly brown on all sides, remove and set aside.
3. Add 1 cup water and the chopped onion to Dutch oven and bring to boiling.
4. Reduce heat and simmer just until water evaporates—about 10 minutes.
5. Add whole onions and cook until slightly brown.
6. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until golden-brown for about 3 minutes and remove from heat.
7. Stir in flour, pepper, meat-extract paste and tomato paste until well blended.
8. Gradually stir in the Burgundy and beef broth.
9. Preheat oven to 350F.
10. Bring wine mixture to boiling, stirring constantly and remove from heat.
11. Add beef and bay leaf and mix well.
12. Bake covered for 1-1/2 hours until beef is tender.
13. Serve with garnish as desired.