Shrimp Creole with White Rice
|Lemon||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Raw shrimp||2 Pound (Shelled And Deveined)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Green pepper||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||12 Ounce (1 Lb, 12 Oz)|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|File powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cooked white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In large saucepan bring 1 quart water to boiling.
2. Add lemon slices, black peppercorns and shrimp, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 3 minutes.
3. Drain shrimp reserving 1 cup cooking liquid and in the same saucepan sauté bacon over low heat until crisp.
4. Remove bacon, drain on paper towels and crumble.
5. To the bacon fat, add butter, garlic, onion, green pepper, parsley, celery and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
6. Add reserved shrimp liquid, bacon, tomatoes, tomato paste, lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper, bay leaf and thyme.
7. Bring to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
8. Just before serving, stir in file powder and shrimp and bring to boiling.
9. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Serve over hot, cooked white rice.
This dish may be made in advance and frozen until ready to use.