Iowa Corn Chowder
|Bacon slices||4 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, pared and diced to make 2 cups|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Canned whole kernel corn||2 Pound (2 Cans Of 1 Pound Each)|
|Evaporated milk||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs) (1 Tall Can)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Heat a large stock pot or a heavy bottomed saucepan, over medium high heat.
2. Add bacon and sauté until crisp
3. When bacon is almost done, add onion and sauté together until onion is soft and translucent.
4. Tip in potatoes, 2 cups of water and stir in seasonings.
5. Simmer for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
6. Stir in corn with liquid and evaporated milk and simmer until it reaches a boil.
7. In the mean time, blend flour with remaining 1/2 cup water
8. Stir it into chowder just before serving time.
9. Simmer, stirring constantly, until soup thickens.
10. Ladle soup into a soup bowls and serve.
Calories 424 Calories from Fat 98
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.1%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.6 mg10.9%
Sodium 662 mg27.6%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g22.8%
Dietary Fiber 10.3 g41.3%
Sugars 27.9 g
Protein 16 g31.7%
Vitamin A 18.2% Vitamin C 57.1%
Calcium 31.6% Iron 11.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet