Classic Creole Shrimp Jambalaya
|Garlic cloves||1 Small, peeled|
|Green pepper||1 Medium, cut into 12 pieces|
|Onion||1 Small, quartered|
|Cooked pork sausage||6 , partially frozen|
|Canned whole tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cleaned shrimp||1 Pound, uncooked (3 Cups)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
|Uncooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Thaw the shrimp if frozen.
2. In a food processor or using a sharp knife, finely chop the garlic.
3. Coarsely chop the peppers.
4. Attach the slicing blade to a food processor if using, and slice the onion and sausages.
5. In large heavy saucepan melt the butter over low heat.
6. Add the garlic and pepper and sauté for until softened.
7. Add the sliced onion and sausages to pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
8. Tip in the tomatoes, breaking them into smaller chunks with the stirring spoon.
9. Stir in the shrimp, water, bay leaf and seasonings and bring to a boil.
10. Tip in the rice, stir to mix well.
11. Reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes until the rice is tender.
12. Remove bay leaf and discard.
13. Dish out into a casserole.
14. Serve the Jambalaya hot.
Calories 977 Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g91.8%
Saturated Fat 22.7 g113.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 318.6 mg106.2%
Sodium 2208.3 mg92%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g17.9%
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 53 g105.2%
Vitamin A 29.5% Vitamin C 76%
Calcium 18.2% Iron 35.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet