Raspberry Charlotte Cake
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Egg yolks||8 Medium|
|Gelatin||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
|Water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Fresh raspberries||1 1⁄2 Pound, hulled (675 Gram)|
|Double cream||1 1⁄4 Pint (700 Milliliter)|
1) With dampened greaseproof paper line the sides of a 1.75 ltr (3 pt) mould.
2) Place a row of the sponge fingers upright inside the mould, with the edges curved outwards, leaving the base of the mould free; keep aside a few fingers.
3) In a large mixing bowl placed in a pan of gently simmering water, beat together the sugar and egg yolks until thick.; continue to beat until frothy;
remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool in a cold water basin.
4) In a bowl, add the gelatine to water and dissolve; beat into the egg mixture, until the mixture is cold; chill in the refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes.
5) Press the raspberries through a sieve to puree, reserving 8 oz of the raspberries for garnish; Pour 425 ml (3/4 pt) of the puree into a bowl and chill; fold the balance puree into the egg yolk mixture.
6) Stiffly whip the cream, fold 575 .ml (1 pt) into the mixture, place the balance cream in the refrigerator to use later.
7) Pour the mixture into the mould and place the remaining sponge fingers over it, trim the fingers if required to the right level; cover with the foil and chill the moulds in the refrigerator for minimum 6 hours.
8) When ready to serve, remove the foil and gently run a knife around the edge of the mould;
place a serving dish over the top of the mould and invert both; shake sharply to slide the charlottee easily out of the mould; lastly remove the paper.
9) Put the balance cream in a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe around the edge and the base of the cake; garnish with the reserved raspberries.
10) Serve chilled.
Calories 1034 Calories from Fat 562
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g96.2%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g17.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 246.8 mg82.3%
Sodium 125.4 mg5.2%
Total Carbohydrates 102 g34.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.4 g29.5%
Sugars 56 g
Protein 16 g32.1%
Vitamin A 6.5% Vitamin C 49.5%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 7.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet