Baked Southern Style Chicken and Chips
|Baking potatoes||32 Ounce|
|Sunflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Coarse salt||2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Paprika pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chicken drumsticks||8 , skin removed|
|Egg||1 Medium, beaten|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|White breadcrumbs||6 Tablespoon|
|Low fat coleslaw salad||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sweetcorn relish||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Wash and scrub the potatoes and cut each into 8 equal portions. Place in a clean plastic bag and add the oil. Seal and shake well to coat.
2. Arrange the potato wedges, skin side down, on a non-stick baking sheet (cookie sheet), sprinkle over the sea salt and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until they are tender and golden-brown.
3. Meanwhile, mix the flour, cayenne, paprika, thyme and salt and pepper to taste together on a plate. Press the chicken drumsticks into the seasoned flour to lightly coat all over.
4. On one plate mix together the egg and water. On another plate sprinkle the breadcrumbs. Dip the chicken drumsticks first in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Place on a non-stick baking sheet (cookie sheet).
5. Bake the chicken drumsticks alongside the potato wedges for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes, until they are tender and cooked through.
6. Drain the potato wedges thoroughly on absorbent kitchen paper to remove any excess fat. Serve the potato wedges with the chicken, accompanied by low-fat coleslaw and sweetcorn relish, if wished.